Cracking Myself Up

 I am not someone who is laugh out loud funny. My humor is more in the makes you chuckle through my sarcasm, wit, or play on words. My dad was someone who could make people laugh out loud and once he got warmed up, watch out! I just don't have that knack, but that doesn't mean I don't have a good sense of humor and laugh a lot. I do - on both counts. Just not usually at my own jokes, haha. Self-deprecation? Well, that's something else and possibly the topic for another blog (that likely won't get written).

So, it is with all of this in mind that I put before you an instance that took place the other evening where I was legitimately laughing (or giggling, as the case may be) at a scene I thought up in the shower after I had stopped writing for the night. Apparently the stopping place I had reached just minutes before wasn't actually the stopping place my creative mind had in store for me. No, I was stuck coming up with a scene that I found highly amusing in the one place where I couldn't write it down or take notes. So, I just let the scene play out longer than I probably should have, laughing throughout, and hoping that I wouldn't forget anything before I could get back to my computer and jot everything down. 

Fortunately, (soap be damned!) I managed to keep it in mind long enough to get it down on paper or on a word doc on the computer, which would be more accurate. Hopefully, one day if you ever get to read the scene I'm referring to, you'll find it amusing. And just to give you a bit of a teaser that might prompt your memory later, here's a brief bit from the scene in question.

"In the second it took her to turn around, Cassie had caught up to Lex as they neared the sofa and the narrow path beside it. With neither letting up, Cassie ran wide around Blake's bag while Lex never broke stride as she leapt over the bag as if it was a hurdle in a high school track meet. She hit the ground a step ahead of Cassie and grabbed the door handle, ready to fling it open."

Never mind the limp she had afterwards or the soreness she felt the next day for running when she hadn't run in years... And while this might not crack you up in this bit, hopefully the full context will bring a smile to your face. Happy reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Short Story Entry for Round 2 - SUBMITTED! Pew Pew!

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland