Short Story Entry for Round 2 - SUBMITTED! Pew Pew!

The short story challenge prompts for round 2 have been released! And have made me a touch anxious. Fortunately, I was able to think about them for a bit and landed upon the rough outline for a story rather quickly, which is key since I only had three days to turn out a story based on those prompts.

What were the prompts?

  • Genre: Sci-Fi
  • Subject: Heartbreak
  • Character: Jockey

Yup. Silence met that set of prompts. Then finally, my mind kicked into gear and the creative juices started flowing. But it was a slow trickle until I was able to write with any consistency. Add to that quite a number of concept revisions and you had a bit of a panic this afternoon.

How did I combat said panic? Well, I am incredibly lucky to have a small but dependable group of reviewers that help beat me into shape and provide invaluable input and feedback. Some contribute more than others, haha, but they all have their piece in the bigger picture. Afterall, it could be the most creative thing in the world, but if someone can't just pick it up and read it without issue, was it really that well done? At the same time, if the plot can be figured out two pages in, was it rally worth your time or anyone else's? 

So, to my dedicated support team, THANK YOU! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope that you've enjoyed the process and that you'll stay with me through many more stories, complicated plots, incomplete stories, and a bit too much telling rather than showing. All of which are things I'm working to improve upon. Promise!

Now, as to the short story itself. I settled on a bit of a hodge podge of things. Genetic mutation in the racing beasts, advanced technology peppered in where it made the most sense, and a class system that is very clearly delineated within the story. Add to that some action, drama, and, of course, heartbreak, and hopefully the story will keep your attention for the 2,000 words it was allowed to have it.

And, to be honest, I can't help it, but when I think of "Sci-Fi" I think of Star Wars and when I think of Star Wars I inevitably think "pew pew pew". Thus the image below.

So, even though "pew" was never mentioned in the story in any combination of sounds or actions, it was considered and resolutely set aside. 

And to fill the hole that was left by its absence, I added in things like dragons, snakes, emperors, ancient Rome, and samurais. 

You're welcome.

Come on, now. Be honest. Samurais are total bad asses and can't help but enhance the story, right? Right! Or at least that's what I'm going with. I hope you'll jump on the bandwagon and agree.

So, on that final note, I think I will bid you adieu for the post and will hopefully have more news on the short story challenge next month. Fingers crossed it will be good news, but even if I go no further, it was a great challenge to get me to bring all of these things together into one place.

Comments

  1. I read your story and truly enjoyed it! Those prompts were crazy.. Somehow you were able to make it a really good story!! Kudos!! I salute you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland