Forgot About This Opening... Dang it's vicious!

 So, I am taking a momentary break from my Angel story to allow for a friend to read through the newly revised opening chapters. No point in carrying the changes through the rest of the book of they aren't worthwhile, am I right? 

Well, since I am now in a holding pattern on that story, I thought I'd make the best of my daily "writing block" to look at another story I have been thinking about for a few years. I opened the first chapter I had started writing and DAMN. Haha. It's so mean, haha. It starts off in a meeting with people - or more specifically a single person - giving status updates. The POV we're seeing this meeting through has apparently had enough of meetings and of this individual. I am now trying hard to think of who might have inspired this hate filled meeting.

I think maybe my description of the meanness isn't enough. So, here's a brief glimpse into the opening. 

Cecil continued to drone on about God knows what for what felt like the thousandth hour in this allegedly necessary meeting from Hell that would never end.  Perhaps if I glare at him, he'll get the hint to stop and we can move on to the next ring of Hell that is surely awaiting us when Dexter starts speaking about whatever has him complaining this month.  Wait, though, who am I kidding?  Cecil is the most obtuse person in government, he will never even realize I am looking at him in a way that isn’t normal, never mind him actually understanding the implications of the look.

I remembered myself and stifled my groan just in time. It was a fortunate catch, otherwise the Cabinet might realize just how useless I find all of this.

Damn it!  I have to remember where I am. No eye rolling either. I feel robbed of all my normal go to’s for passive aggressive attempts to get things moving on.  Who the Hell said we didn't need time limits in these meetings anyway?  Dumbest thing I've ever heard!  As soon as we get through this one, assuming that ever happens, I am passing an executive order to limit each of the Cabinet Officers to no more than five minutes to go over their main points and then I, or we as a collective group, can decide if we want to ask for more detail.  This current method is for mad men!

...10 minutes later.

I swear to God, I am releasing Cecil into space after this meeting for the torture he has inflicted upon us over the last hour!

He gets two more minutes and then I am cutting him off, ramifications be damned!  If he pushes back, he goes straight into space.  I'll just tell people he had to leave to address some pressing business.  I'm sure we can think of a reason why he would have taken the wrong turn and was accidentally released into space.  How could I sell that scenario?  I could say...

So yeah, some definite hostility in that meeting! Tell me you've never been there, though. I know I have meetings now where I literally checkout for ten minutes only to tune back in to the same exact discussion with nothing decided or gained. It's crazy to me.

I'm not sure this scene will stay in the story, since I'm not sure how I want to kick the whole thing off, but you have to admit you're at least a little curious about the person having these thoughts, right? Like are they always this hostile? Is there somewhere they need to be? Is there something going on that makes all of this so intolerable? Does he just really hate meetings? Does he just hate Cecil? Did he not have coffee that morning? The questions are endless! But it might be a touch tough, haha. I don't think the character is actually mean, but maybe that's why this is such a fun opening for him? Something to think about I guess. 


To
jettison or not to jettison. That is the question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Short Story Entry for Round 2 - SUBMITTED! Pew Pew!

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland