The Name Game


One of the things I've always enjoyed the most in writing stories, but also agonized over the most, is naming my characters. I think names are powerful, they project energy, perceptions, and any number of other things. At least they do to me. That's why I don't take naming my characters lightly. It's also why I've spent the last couple of weeks going through notebook after notebook trying to find where I might have jotted down some names I've already agonized over so I wouldn't have to do it again. 

Unfortunately, I did not find any names in those notes. I did, however, reorganize several notebooks and rekindled my imagination regarding several different stories I've started dreaming up over the years. Alas, they shall have to wait. Our focus is now space, or at least it will be until I get feedback on my revised Angel story chapters. When I get that feedback, my focus will shift to the Angel story for a time to finish out that story before returning once again to this one.  I wouldn't allow for the brief change in focus if I didn't feel like the Angel story was deserving of the attention and the possibility of seeing more of the world that my computer and a very select few readers. Here's hoping that story can, in fact, take wing one day. 

But that is neither here nor there for the moment, so let us return to my space story progress and the naming of the main characters. I feel pretty good about it so far. Though I know the core characters will be more European/western than anything else, I do hope to have a diverse set of supporting characters that will be able to highlight some differences in perspectives and approaches. Since this story is space focused, I think of it being set in a future where there are no country borders. It's a one planet government, though there are regions for governing purposes. But that, too, is in development since I still only have a rough sketch of all of that in my mind at the moment. 

I'm trying to show the hint of a cultural heritage that might still influence the characters through some of my name choices while at the same time trying not to be too cliche. It's a hard line to walk, but here's hoping that it doesn't detract from the story, but only adds to character development and the possibility of looking deeper into those roots at some time in my main story or in future spin-off stories. We'll just have to see where things take us.

Well, I think I've rambled for quite long enough and thoroughly confused you. But before I leave let me tell you this, Dr. Clara Devin looks forward to making your acquaintance in the days, weeks, months, and years to come. I only hope I do her justice and help bring her (and her fellows) to life for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Short Story Entry for Round 2 - SUBMITTED! Pew Pew!

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland