Flash Fiction Challenge

So, in view of my lack of progress on the writing front, I have decided to try my hand at another writing contest.  It's a "flash fiction" challenge that gives you 2 days to write a story in 1,000 words based off of the prompts they've assigned.  My first assignment is:

Genre: Suspense
Location: A Dark Alley
Object: Chocolate Milk

I don't know about you, but that's a rather odd assortment.  And as was the case with the previous contest, I am not much of a fan of the assigned genre.  Needless to say, that makes the whole thing a but more challenging.  Add to that you have to build a chocolate milk laden suspense story in 1,000 words, and you have quite the test.

So far so good in that I at least have an idea for a story.  I had three right off the bat, in fact.  Two of them were about men going into the alley.  One man went because he heard someone screaming in fear and he wanted to help them.  The other man went because he was running from men trying to kill him.  I did not completely flesh out either story because it was hard for me to imagine how to make them truly different from any other story that takes place in a dark alley.  Yes, the chocolate milk is a challenge of sorts, but I wanted to do something more out of the box.  So, I ended up going with my third idea.  It involves a woman who has bolted herself in her apartment after being chased through the streets by assailants.  Assailants that have dogged her steps off and on for years.  The story takes place largely in her apartment as she tries to calm herself while jumping at any sound that might be the men coming to take her.  I tried to add in a few extra twists and turns, while also staying true to the prompts.  She prefers Yoo-hoo as her drink and her apartment overlooks a shared alley way with the Hotel Roxy, a seedy hotel she despises. 

Hopefully I incorporate all the prompts into the story enough to meet the rules of the contest, but even so, I liked the end result.  While it might not have been as suspenseful as "Sorry Wrong Number" I tried to get you into the head of the character a bit by showing her fears and insecurities.  Here's hoping it will work out, and I won't get dead last!


Here's hoping I get a good review, or at least some good advice on how to get better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Short Story Entry for Round 2 - SUBMITTED! Pew Pew!

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland