Hmm... That "Bird" Might Have Been a False Alarm...

Okay, so maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic in my last post, but do not think that I am not still writing, albeit slower than intended.  I blame work and vacation!  Work has been a little more all intensive in the last few weeks than it usually is, so that has taken considerably more time than anticipated.  Fortunately, my job is generally pretty good about its work life balance, this just happens to be one of those times when it tends more towards work than life.

No excuses though!  I have dropped the proverbial ball, and owe myself several written pages.  Fortunately, I have thought through some of the sticking points I had with some parts of the story, so at least that is progress, right?  I am deciding to believe it is.

Though it's a small thing to anyone who might read a book, naming the characters is something that can be difficult.  The names have got to have the right balance for the story that is going to be told about the characters they represent.  They also have to be appealing enough to the reader that they aren't annoying to read over and over as the story progresses.  I know I have never been overly fond of some character names, and it's been a drag on the story for me to read them again and again.  Though I might not love the fit, it can also be that the name just isn't memorable.  Or maybe it is too close to another name in the story, so you are constantly confusing characters.  I think that is one of the worst things you can have happen in a story... confuse the characters so that you have to go back to see who said and did what.  Kills the whole flow and can be really annoying.  In all honesty, I think that is one of the reasons I don't love reading Russian stories like Crime and Punishment where the names all sound the same.  I know I had to go back and forth a few times to remember who some of the supporting characters were in the story because I kept crossing their names.  Hopefully I won't do that in any of my stories... but if I do, you can always call me on it and refer to these words.


So, now that you know some of my thoughts on names, I suppose I should give you a glimpse into the story I am writing and tell you the names of some of the main characters.  I don't know how much more info I will give you just yet.  Let's just let you meet them for now...


  • Amelia - main character - older sister to Peyton; moves to New York to pursue a life on the stage
  • Peyton - main character - younger sister to Amelia; moves to a remote town in preparation of becoming a missionary
  • Ray - supporting character - family friend from the girls' childhood; he stays on the periphery but looks in on the girls from time to time
  • Luc - supporting character - love interest for Amelia when she moves to New York; he's very influential and a little dangerous, not to mention rich and handsome
  • Mason - supporting character - love interest for Amelia when she moves to New York; he's friends with her roommate's fiancé, influential in the theater circle, kind and handsome in his way
  • Gabe - supporting character - love interest for Peyton when she moves to the remote town; he's mysterious, handsome, and loyal to his brother, Mick
  • Mick - supporting character - love interest for Peyton when she moves to remote town; he's hurt when she meets him, so she nurses him back to help with assistance from Gabe
  • Claire - minor character - Amelia's best friend from her home town and roommate in New York
  • Derek - minor character - Amelia's friend from home; Claire's fiancé; good friend to Mason


There are obviously other characters that will play a role in the story, but those are the main ones at the moment.  I will try and provide some visual aids at a later date, but here's something to ponder.  Amelia and Peyton are raised in a very religious home.  Amelia has dark hair where Peyton has blond, Amelia questions your motives where Peyton accepts you immediately with open arms, Amelia wishes to break away from her small town life and do something more, something bigger whereas Peyton wants to follow the path her parents laid out for them, with the exception being that she wishes to help those beyond her hometown.  The two are as different as can be, but they love each other deeply and would do anything to help the other.  Amelia's single weakness in the facade she has built around herself is her love for her sister.  While Peyton loves Amelia just as much, Amelia knows what evils there are in the world, and fights all the harder to keep them at bay for herself and her baby sister.


I'm not really an anime fan, but I thought this picture was cute and gets the point across.  Meet Peyton and Amelia, more or less.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review Overload?

Short Story Entry for Round 2 - SUBMITTED! Pew Pew!

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland